Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The "Right" Diet

Everyone knows we should eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, less sugar, and less processed foods, but there is no absolute "right" diet for everyone.  How do we know what to eat?

Listen to your body.  How does your stomach feel after you eat?  How is your energy level an hour after you eat?  Are you tired, sluggish, or irritable afterwards?  Does your stomach feel light or heavy?  Do you feel bloated or is your stomach rumbling trying to digest for the next couple hours?

I am 43 years old and finally paying attention to what my body is really saying about what I'm eating.  I've known for years my body doesn't like cheese, though my taste buds do.  My body doesn't like heavy meats, it feels like I have a lead weight inside for hours after eating.  My body also doesn't like a lot of bread or pasta, it hangs out on my hips.  It doesn't like a lot of food at once.  It likes to eat smaller portions throughout the day.  When I listen to my body, I simply feel better.

My body does like protein in things like omelets, protein shakes, chicken, and turkey.  My body doesn't like soda, though my taste buds and my mind do.  Soda can cause bloating and, in addition to alcohol and caffeinated drinks, can be very dehydrating...even into the next day.  As an occasional treat, I  have a little bit of Coca-Cola.  I haven't fully given that one up yet, though I know I'll feel better physically when I do.

That brings up another point.  We need to be realistic.  It's all about balance.  Eating healthy is important, but it's not healthy to stress yourself over it.  Doing so is both counter-productive and counter-intuitive.  I've known people that would not dare eat something unhealthy and eventually became miserable and afraid of everything they ate.  The tension in their bodies was even more detrimental to them than if they had eaten junk food.

A good rule of thumb is "80/20."  Eat 80% healthy foods and allow yourself to indulge in less healthy foods 20% of the time.  This allows you to relax, which helps your body.  Denying yourself these small pleasures is not good for your body.  The feeling of pleasure is very healthy and natural.  The 80/20 idea also helps you stay on track; minimizing binges and/or giving up altogether.  Trying to stick to an overly restrictive plan is what causes "yo-yo dieting," which wreaks havoc on both emotional and physical well-being.

Balancing anything in life is like a pendulum. The farther you swing to one extreme, the farther you will swing in the opposite direction.  Eating the 80/20 way leaves you closer to the middle, where you won't swing into either extreme.

Action

What is your body saying to you about foods you are eating?  Listen and play with it.  Eat something specific and see how you feel.  Then try not eating that same thing for a couple days and see if you notice a difference in how your body feels.

Experiment with foods.  Which foods make you feel the best; what do you digest the easiest?  What gives you energy and what depletes your energy?  What keeps your blood sugar level steady throughout the day?

There are a lot of diets or eating plans out there that do work, but none of them are one size fits all.  Only you can know for sure what works for your body.  Trust yourself to take care of yourself.  Try to pick healthy foods that you enjoy eating while allowing yourself to indulge from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment