Thursday, July 4, 2013

Doing what's right for you

I'm sorry I missed my blog last week, but I was busy changing my work life.  I've been meaning to change it for a while, but was afraid to hurt others.  I knew what I needed to do, but when I think it might hurt others, I tend to stall.

It all goes along with my blog, doing what's right for you.  In saying that, I think we need to be considerate of others.  I'm not saying that we should completely disregard others, but we do have to remember to honor ourselves too.

I recently stopped taking insurance as payment for my physical therapy treatments and now accept only self-pay.  That may not sound like much, but in doing so, several things needed to happen.  I had to downsize my company, which meant my husband no longer had a job doing my billing, etc., and I also moved to a new, smaller space.  The two people who rented space from me then needed to move as well.  I had clients who needed to finish PT, find another PT, or start paying out of pocket.

The upside is that my life will be simpler.  I can be freer to treat clients more hoilstically than ever before.  I don't have to deal with the insurance games.   I'll have a day off to be with my kids more, my husband is now free to work on his own work and enjoy more free time at home as well, and my clients now have far more freedom in their choice and frequency of treatment.  As it turned out, my two renters each found spaces that they love.

When you finally fight your fears and do what you know in your heart is the way to go, things magically fall into place and you end up happier.

In making my changes, I can focus more on my family, which is important to me.  I can focus on my blog and the book that I am writing.  I would also love to teach someday.  These changes are all for the better.  I know in the end my husband, my kids, and my clients will all be happier as well.  If not, I'll have to bear in mind that we can't always make everyone happy.  But it is not worth living unhappily trying to please everyone else.

Action 

I hope my story helps inspire you.  If something was coming up inside of you as you were reading this, then maybe there is something you need to do. Take it as a sign.  We all want to be happy in this life.  There is nothing selfish about that.  Whether it's about work, a relationship, an addiction to be faced, or any other changes you'd like to make in your life,  I hope this blog helps.

Take time to think it through, all the pros and cons, and get deep inside yourself to help you make a decision.  Sometimes we just have to take a leap of faith and go for it.  Once you've decided, take some time to plan it all out.  It doesn't have to be done in one day, but try not to let it linger forever either.  I wish you well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment