Wednesday, June 11, 2014

What's your purpose in life?

I've been thinking about this question a lot lately.  I think everyone wonders what their purpose in life is.  But I think purpose is different than calling or "what we are meant to do".  I think the purpose of life is to enjoy life and to love and contribute to the world at the same time.  It's to grow and learn and make the world a better place in some way.  So if that's the purpose, we all have a purpose to be here.  It is to love, help, learn, and have fun!  So everyone has a purpose!  

We can help in many easy way:
1. Being a parent raising kids
2. Taking care of your parents as they get older
3. Helping others enjoy life
4. Listening and comforting others
5. Passing on what you've learned to others
6. Keeping your neighborhood clean and safe
7. Watching out for other people's kids
8. Making meals for others
9. Loving and accepting others as they are
10.Praying for others

These are just a few of the many, many ways to help in life. Purpose is all about contributing to the world.

Now some of you may be rolling your eyes at me for this blog, right? It sounds silly that I'm writing this.
But for some it is an eye-opener.  Some people think they have no purpose.  Can you image not thinking you are here for a reason?  How sad.  That does not feel good inside, let me tell you.  It's like a hole, emptiness, numbness, or a deadness.

But don't confuse purpose with calling, or passion, or "what we are meant to do".  Some people feel that a purpose has to be this great thing that they are known for or paid for.  They think that they have one purpose in life and if they haven't found it, they have failed.  But if we do all these other things helping others in some way, how have we failed?

Everyone has a purpose and there are many ways to meet that purpose as you can see.  It is a very heavy feeling inside if you feel you don't have purpose here on earth. That is a very basic, elemental need we have to be needed and useful.

Action

Rethink purpose.  We all have purpose.  We all can help and love in some way and enjoy it at the same time. If you still don't feel you have a purpose, why?  Where does that come from?  Or where does it not come from, meaning did you not learn that you have a purpose?

When you can get into your being very deeply that you have a purpose, you can heal that emptiness.  Let it radiate through you that you most likely are already fulfilling your purpose.  Say and really feel, "I have a purpose and I'm already doing it.  The world needs me.  I am awesome and I help in my own unique way, in a way that works for me and I enjoy.  I am here to enjoy life and make it a better, happier place."  Shout it if you have to to really feel it.

A calling is something different and I'll blog on that next, but first you need to feel you have a purpose.  If not, happiness and health are hard to come by.  Your body, mind, and spirit need you to know you have a purpose and are adding to the world!


No comments:

Post a Comment